Pages

Monday, April 5, 2010

PR Bias or Not?

As a publicist, I no longer look at anything the same. When I see a celebrity wearing a particular brand, partying at a club, a product in a magazine...I always think to myself, what did their publicist have to do with this? Same goes for when I see publicists mention companies, venues, products, etc. on a nonprofessional level. I feel like I am always skeptical about the genuineness of it. But then I really thought about this and realized, as far as personal shout outs from publicists, it's most likely genuine. Here's why.

I don't own my own company and I certainly don't get to pick my own clients. Even people that pick their clientele don't always 100% stand behind them (possibly they accepted them as a client for financial reasons, or favors.). In an ideal world though, your PR rep truly believes in you.

That said, when a publicist shouts out a client in a non pitching manner, say on their blog or twitter or even in conversation, I do not think it is a business move (at least not directly). I think they actually believe in what they are promoting. Naturally we are skeptical to think that they are being biased, but a publicists grass roots are in word of mouth. When I trace back to the root of why I became a publicist, it only made sense. Whenever I found a food or a band or something else I loved, the first thing I would do is pass that information along. It was a natural promotion. When I found out that this actually had a name and it was called public relations, I knew what I was going to make a living doing.

People shouldn't be so skeptical about publicists promoting clients on their own personal time (I'm not talking about a company format). If they didn't support them on a personal level, they would not bother supporting them on their own time. They would leave it to the business hours, and not take the extra step to shout them out.

No comments: