Pages

Monday, October 27, 2008

Hamsa Tattoo


I have never been one to want a tattoo. 2 reasons - I am petrified of needles and I have never wanted anything so bad that I had to have it permanently on my body. I have never been against them, although I hold my opinions on the subject. The whole "Jewish" argument never would have been a deal breaker for me, as heartbreaking as that may be to my family. But for about a year now I have felt a huge desire for one.

So what do I want? A white hamsa on my wrist. This summer I noticed a white dove on my interns wrist and it really got me thinking. I had wanted the hamsa for a while, and suddenly I had this vision and since then, I have not stopped thinking about it!

Long story short, the hamsa is a hand symbolizing protection against the Evil Eye and brings good luck. I find it interesting that not only are more Jews getting tattoos but they are getting Jewish tattoos.

I think I am going to get it in LA but I will not rush this. When I am ready, I will proceed. :)

Below are a couple of links of interest, about the whole debate against the religious beliefs and one of my favorite jewelry designers who makes beautiful hamsas for the home.

Arjewtino
New York Times article (I know the Dan fella)
My Jewish Learning.com
White tattoo images (apparently its popular to get them on your wrist)
Michal Negrin
http://www.tattoojewmovie.com/

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Let me tell you something about the pain. Does it hurt? Yes. A lot.

But you will feel so personally satisfied with yourself when it's all over that you'll think of the pain as a badge of honor.

If it didn't hurt, it would be easy, and everyone would get one, and it would be meaningless.