Pages

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Advertising vs. PR

Some argue that this economic situation is great for public relations. If people can't afford to pay for an advertising campaign, they turn to editorial because generally, it's cheaper. But others will say that in this economic situation, people are cutting back a whole lot more, and that means getting rid of things they really don't have to have, like pr. I hear one women running a pr company is doing the best she has ever done, yet I hear another company with similar clients and overall business, is suffering.

I guess it's just in the eye of the beholder, or at least that's what I will stick to until I really form a better, more factual finding. Working with socialites, sure they don't NEED pr, so they cut it out of the budget. But an actress, who can't handle all the press on her own, well, she probably needs us. Or a restaurant who normally advertises may lose the ads and just stick with the pr. But a small company that can't really do either, needs to just cut out the outreach in those conventional ways entirely. So really, I think it just depends. I personally like to think the glass is half full...pr will flourish in these times!

But on the other hand...
I just read all at once that 4 places I would have given my left arm to work for (still probably would) have laid people off. One cut out the events staff, where I would have been included had I got that opportunity. Another I would have been the assistant for the women who ran the company and she decided to step down from the throne today. A third company decided to go completely digital and no longer have their print version of a magazine. The forth job just nixed their New York office all together! I guess everything happens for a reason.

No comments: