Pages

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Jerusalem until the 8th

I spent the next week in Jerusalem. On Thursday we just relaxed and then went to the market to get food for Shabbat. We were planning on having 18-20 people over! We got tons of stuff and then we went out to the pub. The next day we cooked and cooked and prepared. We lit candles and then people started coming over and we had a lovely shabbat dinner.

Saturday we relaxed. The next couple of days were a blur. Sarah went to class often and I just chilled. I had no idea Sarah was in a seminary. She has become super religious and it was fine, just somewhat of a shock to me. I wish she talked to me more about it.

I went shopping one day, got gifts for everyone. We went to Tal Bagels on Emeck Refiem. Went to the crackhouse. The puppies the boys were supposed to be watching ran away. :( Angie and I met up one more time and went to the Sachlav office to see everyone. I went out another night with Nosson, Bev and Amira to this really cute place after going to what I think was a gay bar. I enjoyed meeting all her friends. These South Africans are out of control crazy. They are all on their holiday so they have no responsibilities. They just get messed up and listen to techno all day and night. Its crazy. But they are good boys. I enjoyed meeting them for sure. Some of my favorite quotes "We have the best of everything. We have the best food, the best homes, the best AIDS." They have slaves in South Africa and one of the boys actually said "My father knows how to slap a black man." Seriously, another world. But I'd still like to go visit. It sounds like a beautiful country.

One of the boys was the top medic in South Africa and was volunteering for a bit in Israel and we were out at this hookah bar cave place one night and he got a phone call from the army saying he was going to get picked up in two hours and brought into Gaza because they needed him. Seeing that face again was heartbreaking. He ended up telling them he couldn't go (he was wasted) but ended up going the next day for 2 days, saved some lives, and then came back.

Oh and I also learned a new term. FOMO - Fear Of Missing Out. Cute! Sarah also took me to the Arab shook. She told me much of the money funds the terrorists. Scary.

Then it was time for me to leave. I took the van to the airport, got interrogated for about 3 hours and finally made my was on the plane. I sat next to Jonathan, a 20 something who was on business and happened to be in the building in Sderot that got bombed so he was in the hospital all week. He was fine talking to for a bit but then he got kinda douchebaggy. I just fell asleep but the ride was very bumpy so it wasn't pleasant. But, I MADE IT! Now here I am, all moved in to my new apartment which I love, looking for a job, 24 years old, and just feeling like a better person. I am excited to see what the future will hold for me!

No comments: