Pages

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Wednesday 24/12/08

I am glad we weren't staying in this hotel for long because the bathroom was awful. For some reason Israelis think a good way to make a shower is to just put a drain on the floor and hand you a squeegee.

We head over to Mount Tzfachot. Daniel hiked here during training and watched one of his friends fall down a cliff and break his leg. Good story to start the hike! You can see Jordan, Saudi Arabia, and Egypt from this point in the country. Ethan fell down and scraped his elbow and I'm sad I missed that. I hiked a bit with one of the soldiers who complimented me about how I'm not a typical girl on the trip and he could tell I'm outdoorsy. We talked about living in Columbus cuz he has family there. It was nice to just talk to someone else and get to know them genuinely.

Then we headed off to Coral beach for an afternoon break. I wish that's what it was for me. Instead it turned into an intervention with one of the girls who seemed to have secluded herself from the group and was on the phone, speaking very loudly and rudely the entire time. In the end though, it all turned out for the best. As frustrated as she made me, I still felt bad about how she felt. But she was very close minded and I have very little tolerance for that. Anyways, it all worked out.

We grabbed some lunch at a falafel place, and the falafel man had a huge crush on me. It was entertaining but I still had to pay for lunch. We got on the bus to head to Jerusalem and watched Superbad. Daniel asked me if it was a relevant movie and I said yes because they were Jewish. He was not very happy when it was over. If I knew we were going to get a lecture on the movie, I would have said forget it. I understand where he was coming from, but at the same time, we just needed a break from the whole learning thing.

We arrive in Jerusalem and do Shechehiyanu (the prayer one says at times of new experience and blessed events of all occasions) at the top of a mountain overlooking the city. It was freezing so it was fast and we all ran back on the bus. We have dinner and amazing showers in the Kaesar Hotel and then do a workshop about Yad Vashem that I led.

Most of the kids snuck out that night, and some of us just chilled in the lobby. Sarah came by to say hi. Her and Gina, one of her roommates just came from the crackhouse. Apparently these South African friends she has, needed a place to stay. They somehow got hooked up with these two girls who were in jail and needed someone to stay in their home and take care of their puppies while they were locked up. So they entered this sublease type deal with them. But there are a lot of details missing. Sarah is convinced the girls are dead and had a bunch of their stuff like bracelets in her bag that she took from the crackhouse. I guess I will be there at some point next week when I stay with her because she goes there a lot now. Woohoo!


Soldiers taking it all in.

No comments: