Pages

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Day 2: The North

We go to the Golan Heights for a hike which I was not excited about because I remembered last time it was rainy and cold and boring and depressing. But it ended up being a really awesome hike through the Jeelabon Creek, in fact my favorite one I think. Daniel assured us this would be an easy hike. He forgot we aren't tour guides though and many of the girls had some problems with it, as did some of the guys, but we all helped each other through it. It's these types of experiences that bond people together and I already see the group getting more comfortable with each other. I personally didn't think it was very hard and enjoyed the hike, but that's cuz when your father is Mr. Nature, you get accustomed to things like this. One guy, Big Mike, pretty much had an asthma attack and that was not fun. If only I knew what was to come with him! There are 2 married Russian couples in the group who take way too many prom pics and are slow as hell. They will be a problem. Otherwise, good stuff so far. Lesson of the hike: Israeli's are like cacti. Rough on the outside but sweet on the inside.

We hop back on the bus for phase 2. We get to the top of Mount Bental, an ancient volcano that was once an Israeli military bunker where you can see into Syria. Immediately, Ginette and Big Mike run off the bus to throw up. After that we met up with the group in the bunker and learned about attack methods of the IDF and such. There was also a really out of place but cute coffee shop that was like a cabin. One of the girls decided to tell me she had weight loss surgery which was odd but I guess she was feeling sick and wanted me to know. I start to get worried this trip may not be as easy as I thought. On the walk back to the bus, there are sculptures made of metal which I find out were made from scrapes found from tanks and such in a war.

We head back to the hotel to prepare for Shabbat. I decide to try to take a nap and miss candle lighting. I meet everyone in the dining room and we have a lovely dinner followed by Oneg Shabbat. The group circle was interesting. The Russian's made everyone feel uncomfortable and after everyone went upstairs I had a really intense conversation with Nosson, a boy who used to be Ultra Ortho, Alisa, and Mikey. It's really interesting to see the opposite rebellions, non religious kids became more religious and religious ones became less as they grew up.


Hiking through the Jeelabon Creek.

No comments: