Pages

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Monday 22/12/08

Mifgash! This morning we had some soldiers join the trip. We already had one because one girl on the trip had her brother join us. He has been in the army the past couple months and got a couple days off to join the trip his sister was on. They are all really nice and everyone was excited to have them. It's such a crazy experience to have these kids with us.

We all head to Rabin square where the kids mingle with locals, asking them questions. Everyone was into it and I was really impressed. Big Mike lost his wallet. Then we headed to Independace Hall. Again, I was not too excited for this part of the trip because last time we went, it sucked. But to my surprise, it was one of the highlights. The speakers were incredible. One of the women really nailed it when she said, "Israel is something you have to feel. You have to be here and experience it." Then the main speaker was full of jokes, but got cut off due to schedualing conflicts with another group. So that was cut short we were all disspointed. I am glad we got to spend the time in Tel Aviv because before this, I really didn't feel like I spent time there or enjoyed it and I felt completley different after. After IH, we had some free time and a group of us went on a scavenger hunt for a bank, and then we went to a coffee shop and headed south again. But first we had to wait for Jeremy's passport to arrive in a cab from the hostel, but not Mike's wallet. We stopped at some Dairy Farm and then ended the trip in the middle of the Negav, at the Beadouin tents in Kfar Hanokdim.

We were rushed onto these camels. I asked the American who had just moved to the tents, and was bitter about being from Boston, told me which one I should go on. Turns out this camel loved to cha cha and side kicked the entire time, with the seat not fully attached. I got whip lash. David hopped on the back last minute and I will never forget this camel ride. I have terrible luck with camels! We skipped the donkey rides and went into the tents to learn about the Bedouins and dance and listen to music made by them. Ben made a joke about if they sell the CD and sure enough, they did! It's such a tourist trap!

We had some down time, and went into the sleeping tent, picked out our beds, played some catch, talked to some people. Found out of of the girls was a lesbian, which I had thought all along. But it took me for a ride when she told us the older women who we thought was her mom at the airport, was actually her partner of 5 years. So after a heavy conversation, we went to dinner which I found out through the miserable American, that is was catered! Then we went on this insane walk into the desert. It was pitch black. Some people were freaked out but we all did it, in silence, as Daniel asked us to. The view that we all witnessed that night, into the sky, was unbelieveable. We all got into a circle, people got emotional, and then we went back to "go to bed". Of coarse most of us didn't. A bunch of us stayed up outside, chatting and what not. People tried to get deep but I was just tired of the heavy conversations at this point.

When it was finally time for bed, I found myself stuck in a snoring trifecta of hell. Before we went to bed, the Russians set up their own little apartment in the corner and were laughing and told us they were laughing because they were waiting for everyone to go to bed, cuz if they went to sleep first, no one would get sleep because he snores so loud. So that was in one corner. Then Big Mike in another corner and to complete the triangle was Ethan. David and I were next to each other and Ben kept us up with stories for a while but after he passed out, we just laughed until we passed out of exhaustion. All in all, I got maybe an hour of sleep because we had to wake up at 5am for a sunrise hike up Masada.

No comments: