Pages

Thursday, March 12, 2009

Thrift Stores

Not really being a thrift store fan (nothing against em tho)I noticed a store a while ago I wanted to check out and today on my adventure, I did. But first...

The Guggenheim sucked today. Apparently "Kandinsky Exhibit" means "We only have 3 small paintings and a large one that really isn't that special".

Then I just wandered and came across the Sloan Kettering Thrift Shop. Smelled like old people but they had a decent designer room. Next to that is the Cancer Care Thrift. Then I bumped into a Housing Works not once, but twice in two different locations (which was cool because it was the store I mentioned earlier that I wanted to check out). For some reason, I really dig these shops. Quality furniture finds, well priced, and then you have their cause. In short, their mission is to end AIDS and homelessness. You can read all about it on their site and in their stores.

I guess I never really thought about the fact that the Salvation Army thrift actually has a purpose as well, which is not just to sell cheap silly clothes to college kids for themed parties. In fact, after doing a bit of research, I come to realize that many of these thrifts have another, philanthropic purpose, which I think is neat.

Here is a pretty elaborate list I found with a bunch of shops in NYC.

No comments: