Pages

Thursday, March 12, 2009

First Cranes, Now Planes!

Last summer New Yorker's thought it was a freak accident when the first crane collapsed. Then it happened again. I never would even notice those cranes around and now, I notice them alright.

Then, this weekend, I noticed I had quite a bit of anxiety when I was getting on the plane to Florida. I am usually a good, carefree traveler so this struck me as odd. Maybe I was getting sick? But after reading ANOTHER story about a "freak" accident dealing with a plane again, not to mention it being in NY again, I realized I had developed a slight fear of flying. Crash once, it's scary, but you don't really translate it to something that could be your plane. But four times in a few weeks, I guess I'm starting to get nervous! Private planes, The Hudson Crash, The Buffalo one, The Amsterdam one, and the most recent one at JFK. Shit airport people, fix this!

Come to think of it, sometimes those miracles and coincidences I am always talking about now, are easier to see in hindsight. Right before I left for Florida, I was watching Chelsea Lately and her guest was Kelly Carlson (from Nip/Tuck) and she was talking about her fear of flying and what she does to cope.

You are really trusting so many people and scenarios out of your control. You have to either trust it, or dont. And lately, I have not been given reasons to trust the system. A bit off kilter, but David sent this to me as a joke but Louis CK makes a good point that has crossed my mind a couple times. People are so ungrateful sometimes but when you sit back and think about it, YOU'RE FLYING! "You are in a seat, in the sky!" Just watch it, it's funny cuz it's true! Click HERE to watch.

No comments: