Pages

Monday, March 8, 2010

Chasing Harry Winston

I also read a book over the weekend. In 3 days I finished Chasing Harry Winston by Lauren Weisberger. This was probably the fastest time I ever read something.

The basics: 3 best friends in NYC approaching age 30 and the antics in their lives currently. They are all at different points. One's engaged to Mr. Perfect and can't seem to make herself happy, one's some hottie who loves bed hopping, and the other just got dumped and is trying to enjoy life a little more now.

Although there was nothing particularly thrilling or amazing about the actual story, I enjoyed the book for a couple reasons. 1. Chick-lit is always a nice little break for the brain. But there is a line between annoying and bearable and many of these books are annoying. The story about the dumped girl got to me a bit but Weisberger made it cut up between the three enough that I persevered through her story because I knew it wouldn't last long. 2. There is definitely material I can relate to here. Not so sure that's a good thing but I guess it keeps me human. Examples: the stalking of the ex, as much as I hate to admit it. The convesations between the friends, the intimacy they share and the execution in the writing of it. Also the one who is dealing with the pressure of what society tells us to do versus what is better for us. The engaged girl thinks she should roll with it cuz at a certain age, you meet someone and get along with them and things get rushed because there is pressure. Who exactly says that is the one and only way to live?

Of coarse it's predictable but the fact that it wasn't about a party-hopping, name dropping publicist was refreshing. Sure the usual suspects of the hotspot NYC restaurants like Waverly Inn get dropped but with Harry Winston in the title and a pic of a Louboutin on the cover, it's to be expected. If you're looking for a quick beach read and are one of the few who haven't read it yet, grab it.

No comments: